Next meeting: March 6 at 7PM
TheatreQuest is a theatre interest group sponsored by the Chattanooga Theatre Centre for the purpose of preparing teens for future study or a vocation in the theatre. TheatreQuest strives to provide its members theatre experiences and opportunities they would not normally get in their schools or the community at large. By doing so, members gain a broader understanding of the potential and power of theatre.
What is TheatreQuest?
Who can be a member?
Any young person between the ages of 13 and 19 can be a member of TheatreQuest. Members must attend regular membership meetings and be involved in at least one major event throughout the year.
When are meetings?
General membership meetings are the first Monday of every month (Sept. – May) at 7:00 PM, unless it falls on a holiday.
TheatreQuest activities vary from year to year, but they are always theatrical in nature and geared to increasing the members understanding of, and ability to do theatre. Here are a few past TheatreQuest projects:
What kinds of activities does TheatreQuest do?
- Alphabet Plays (One to two plays per year, three Saturdays) – Created by members for pre-school and early school aged children, these plays focus on words beginning with the specified letter of the alphabet. In the form of a sketch comedy show, the players use 30 words in 30 minutes. If they can’t get through them all, someone gets a pie in the face.
- Elfing at the Choo-Choo (five weekends before Christmas) – This very popular event is also the primary fundraiser for TheatreQuest. Members play Santa’s elves in the toy workshop and tuck in guest children at night. Members are not expected to work all days, but rather sign up only for the elf shifts they can make.
- Coffeehouse Cabaret (one to two selected Fridays during the year) – An evening of comedy and music created by the members. Admission is free with a fee for drinks and desserts. Next Coffeehouse is Friday, February 6, 2015.
- Play to be determined –Whether an original piece or an original re-mix of classic theatre, this play is produced entirely by TheatreQuest members.
- Hunter Project – TheatreQuest members create original theatre pieces, based on artwork in the Hunter Museum of American Art, and performed in front of the actual art work.
- Trips – TheatreQuest occasionally plans trips to other cities and regions for the purpose of seeing new and different theatrical productions.
- Activity Night – One to two per summer. Play theatre games, watch a movie and eat popcorn.
How do you join TheatreQuest?
To join, you need only come to one of the general membership meetings on the first Monday of the month (2nd Monday in September) at 7 PM. You may also email us
, or call the Director of Education, Chuck Tuttle at 267-8538, ext. 313.
Scheduled Projects 2016-17
First Monday of each month at 7:00PM.
Harvest Moon Maze at Tennessee River Park
Dates: October 29, 5:00PM-9:00PM
TheatreQuest members will reenact the Mad Hatter’s Tea Party from Alice In Wonderland. This will be an interactive event requiring the actors to improvise with children in character. Ideally, we could use three shifts of one hour each to cover each evening.
The P Play
Audition: Monday, August 9 at 7:00PM
Performances: October 1, 8 & 15
Rehearsals: Mondays, Wednesday & Thursdays, 7:00-9:00PM, from Aug. 15
Description: A play created by TheatreQuest members for young children exploring the letter P.
Tentative Dates: Fridays. - Sundays., Nov. 18 –December 18; Monday - Thursday, December 19-22
Orientation: Tuesday, Oct. 25 at 7PM
Dress like an elf, tuck in kids, help them make crafts in the workshop. More information to follow.
The Q Play
Auditions Tuesday, January 10 at 7PM
Performed March 4, 11 & 18 at 10:30AM
Rehearsals Mondays, Tuesdays & Thursdays, February 7 – March 2
(extra rehearsals Saturdays, February 11 & 18, 1PM-3PM; Wednesday, March 1).
Description: A play created by TheatreQuest members for young children exploring the letter Q.
Dates: February 25 - 26 (Leave Saturday morning and return Sunday evening)
Permission forms due January 20, 2017.
Open to anyone who has worked a fund raising event for TheatreQuest (Elfing, Alphabet Play). This trip is partially paid for through TheatreQuest funds.
Date: Thursday May 4 at 6:00PM First Meeting TBA
Create a short theatre piece inspired by a work of art at the Hunter Museum, and then perform it in front of the actual work of art.
Submission deadline: ongoing
We will accept the submission of any video script of up to ten minutes in length. Selected scripts will be videoed, edited and uploaded to Youtube. Rehearsals and filming will be scheduled as scripts are ready. Editing assignments will be made when scripts are selected.
Dates: August (days TBD)
Submission Deadline: End of July
Submissions of original, short plays (5-20 minutes) will be accepted from TheatreQuest members. Selected plays will be assigned directors from TheatreQuest members, cast and performed on a Friday and Saturday in August, 2017.